the [ commission ] process

Thursday, October 4, 2012

So you're interested in a commission?

Let the fun begin!

Shoot me an e-mail here to get the process started.

First thing is to decide the best size canvas for your custom project. It also helps to see your space, either through photos or in person (if local), to get a feel for the surrounding atmosphere (wall color, fabric swatches, light, overall mood, etc.) Then we can establish the price and a time frame for completion - typically between 2-3 weeks depending on the time of year (slightly longer during the Christmas season.) If you need a canvas size I don't have in stock, allow an additional week for ordering time.

My prices for commissioned pieces run about 15% more than ready-to-ship paintings.  This is to account for the time spent putting together a cohesive piece that meets all of your wishes.  Visit my FAQ's page for more detailed price info.  Your painting can be paid in 2-3 installments, with an initial down payment to begin.


I start with a color palette for inspiration, and discuss which elements of my other pieces you like most (fog, rolling hills, water, more realistic vs. more abstract, etc...)  I will not completely copy one of my past works, for a couple reasons - 1. I want to maintain the integrity of my work, and keep each unique piece a one-of-a-kind, original painting. and 2. to be honest, it's just not very much fun trying to paint something all over again that I already did once. Where's the creativity in that?  But I do promise to work with your ideas and create something fresh, that can still be very reminiscent of the mood of previous works.

  I then create a few watercolor sketches for your review to make sure we are on the same page.  This also helps me put all of my ideas to paper, and see what works, and what doesn't.



It usually takes 2-3 weeks for your oil painting to be completed.  Once it is, I will send you a picture of your piece for your review. Feel free to give me any feedback... really, I want you be honest and ask to change something (if necessary) and be absolutely in LOVE with your new painting. Once you're 100% satisfied, it will be shipped- or delivered if you are local.


This is one of my latest commission pieces.  My client loved the mood and composition of Grace, but wanted more subdued grays to compliment her home, on a larger 40 x 40 in. canvas. I think it turned out beautifully!

 I will be closing my commission queue November 21st for all custom holiday orders, to allow enough time for completion and shipping before Christmas.  I know it seems a bit premature to already begin thinking about Christmas gifts, but it will be here before we know it!

Feel free to contact me with any questions.  Looking forward to this busy holiday season :)






2 thoughts:

  1. Allie -

    Hope you have checked out the work of Tula Telfair. I think you would be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word! Absolutely STUNNING! I'm not familiar with her work, but an inspiration for sure, thank you for sharing!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Amaryllis Truth Studio All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger