spring cleaning [ studio ]

Monday, March 4, 2013

"spring" cleaning... despite the fact that we are expecting a few inches of snow tomorrow.

but it does feel good to finally have boxes unpacked, and the rooms arranged into an efficient and welcoming studio.  It's important for my studio to be a place where I want to be, and look forward going to -- my own sanctuary.  It also doesn't hurt that my mom will be in town next week, and it will be at least somewhat decent ;) 

I was inspired by this image, of Georgia O'Keefe's studio.  I'm not even going pretend that any aspect of my life will ever look that pristine, but it definitely is aspirational.  I hate clutter, and fortunately do not get very sentimental about objects -- it's easy, even therapeutic, for me to just toss things out to make room for open, empty space.

The apartment is made up of two rooms, plus a small kitchen and a bathroom and NO closets. (I'm currently using the stall shower to keep all my shipping boxes).  I have divided the two open rooms into a painting area and an office/sitting area.  I tend to get pretty messy when I work, so I'm going to try to keep my office/business space paint free, along with a shipping prep station. 

one of my favorite thrifted chairs. on the walls (left) it was inevitable, (right) fleeting
this weekend I finally put a few of my favorite available pieces up on the walls (I sometimes forget what they are actually meant for, and that they shouldn't be stacked and hidden away ;) and deep cleaned my brushes and palettes for the first time in months.

I have a thing for big brushes :)
 I also escaped for a bit to doodle on my chalkboard wall.  It's a corner wall I painted at the top of the stairs to the apartment, which was one of the first things I did when I moved in.  But since then, I've just stared at the blank, black wall each day, unsure of what to do.  So this is now as far as I've gotten...

   
The studio is still a work in progress (as it probably always will be) as I move in a few more pieces of furniture, and search for a much needed larger easel. Which reminds me... any artist friends in the Hagerstown/DC area getting rid of an easel, LET ME KNOW!

Hope everyone had a great start to their week!

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Amaryllis Truth Studio All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger