the [ proposal ]

Saturday, November 3, 2012

To be honest, I was totally expecting it.  But to his credit, Mark some how managed to find the one moment I let my guard down (without a speck of makeup on my face, nor brushed hair) and completely shocked me.  Well done, babe.

We found the ring this past summer.  I had been looking for the perfectly unique, antique ring, and finally we found it at an adorable antique store in Wilmington, North Carolina. But then a few months had passed, Mark kept playing coy, and I was growing increasingly impatient.  The days were dwindling before Mark would be moving to begin a new job... I knew it would happen soon, before he would leave.  I made sure I was prepared for every possible proposal opportunity -- perfect hair, adorable outfit -- just so we could capture that beautiful moment for all of our friends and family.  (I was really hoping for a secret photographer popping out of the bushes to capture my reaction)

This morning, however, I had been up since 5 am, babysitting for one of my former professors.  I came home, exhausted, and fell asleep immediately.  I was awoken by Mark, "Guess who got blood worms?!"  Oh, okay... we're going fishing?  I love fishing, and after living on the water for over a year, it was something I wish we did more often.  I got up, groggily agreed, and hopped in Mark's truck for a drive down to our private beach and tidal pond.  For a brief second, I thought... could this be it?  Nah, surely not like this... did I even brush my teeth this morning? (for the record, I did)

We parked, and walked to the pond.  Mark didn't say a word.  If I wasn't still half asleep, I may have thought this to be weird.  But instead, still in a daze, I just followed his path through the sand.  We dropped off our equipment and I reached for the bloodworms.  Out of the corner of my eye I could see Mark fiddling in his pocket.  Oh, gosh, this could be it.  Unsure of what else to do, I just kept squeezing the worm onto the hook (so romantic and ladylike) Mark pointed towards Lena.  I turned to look at our pup in the water, and next to her, written in stones, was this...


By the time I turned around to face Mark, he was on one knee, with the ring in his hand.  What exactly he said in this moment is a bit of his blur. But I do think he managed to throw in a cheesy fishing reference just for good measure.  And my eloquent response was then... Yeah. (Oh, how I wish I could have that moment back for a re-do.)  Yes, a thousand times YES!


So... despite not having my perfectly curled hair or trendy little outfit, (or the secret photographer popping out of the bushes ;) it was the perfect beginning to our life together.  Our little family, in this incredibly special place that will always have my heart. A lot of kisses and giddy smiles ensued that afternoon.  And we never did catch a fish. But in Mark's words... "you're the only catch I want on my wall" haha, oh cheeseball. I love you.

the ring. circa 1920/30's center stone is a champagne diamond, surrounded by small diamonds on all sides and filigree in platinum.

_______
 
As I'm writing this, I'm sitting here alone in what used to be our apartment.  Mark left yesterday, on his way to begin the next chapter of our lives on a farm in Edinburg, Virginia.  He will be apprenticing on a grass-fed organic livestock farm for the next twelve months, learning what (we hope) will one day be our future.  In the meantime I'm staying in Southern Maryland for the next few months, as I plan my next move, look for jobs and hopefully get closer to Edinburg -- (oh, and plan a wedding EEK!).  A lot of changes happening... which is a bit unsettling, not to mention just plain sad to be so far away from my best friend (and fiance ;), and to have to watch this beautiful chapter end ... but we've been in the weird limbo the past few months, uncertain of our future, so in an unexpected way I feel a sense of relief to finally put all of our plans in motion and get on with it.

Here's hoping to a smooth, exciting next year... where ever that may lead us.  Thanks for coming along for the ride.

4 thoughts:

  1. My incredibly beautiful daughter...your smile makes my heart sing with joy every time...just as it has since the first time I saw it. Your eyes glisten with your laughter and it makes me happy. Your joy brings me joy. This new chapter in life will be amazing. Each day you'll look back and be in awe of how you could actually love Mark more now then you did then...in marriage, that love never stops growing. I think it's time to watch "The Notebook" again..a love story to end all love stories. I'm so happy for you both! Let the planning begin...I love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh oh!! Congratulations, so completely over the moon for you, and I'm dying over the sweetness, the unexpectedness and oh that ring!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Sounds like the perfect proposal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, Allie! Congratulations!!! So happy for you both. It's such a sweet story, and I'm so excited to follow along and see where life takes you next. Lots of love from Texas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Amaryllis Truth Studio All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger